Sunday, December 14, 2008

Blinded By the Light At the End of the Tunnel

I'm not a real big TV watcher, really. Y'know how nearly everyone has their show? The one (or ten) they watch religiously to the detriment of homework, housework, and the other demands of being a contributing member of society? I don't. I couldn't tell you what channel most of my shows are on, to be honest, since I usually watch them long after the fact on DVD. Case in point: Dexter, The Tudors, Bones, Criminal Minds, Charmed, Veronica Mars. Don't get me wrong, there are shows I enjoy, shows I'll occasionally go out of my way to watch. The last show I watched with any regularity on purpose was Charmed, which had its last season, what, 3 years ago? But I only recently acquired regular access to one of those little talking boxes they call a TV, and I've never had one to call my own. As such, even in this time of papers, projects, and take-home exam questions, I find myself sucked into the tube.

Most of the TV I watch is either a) on a disc or b) something that somebody else in the room was watching already/wants to watch. Fortunately my tastes generally run parallel to those of the people I tend to regularly share living room space with, and if they don't, they've all got TV's in their rooms so this one's mine nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah nyah.

Ahem. So long story short, in the combination of the end of class and the good corporal's only occasionally aggravating habit of watching TV while studying/writing papers, I've watched more TV in the last week than I did in the previous month combined. (Sidenote: And somehow wound up watching reruns in that time? What gives, man!) I can almost feel my brain cells melting/dying/combusting.

But now that I have a screen larger than 11 inches or whatever my laptop screen is, attached to a player that is all but guaranteed to play north american DVDs (don't even get me started, my lappy is a retired financial workhorse, so it's a powerhouse, but it's getting on in years, hence the non-compatible DVD player) I'm even more excited about my TV on DVD that I'm looking to catch up on. Or maybe will be looking to catch up on after the holidays, if Santa manages to overlook my missteps. Not to mention the movies on the ever-growing list. Yes, I know I'm the worst Film student in the world. I'm also the worst English student in the world and the worst Theatre student in the world. Seriously folks, if I endeavored to watch half the movies someone has told me are "hands-down the best movie ever made" I would have 16-hour days for a month full of just that. Add that to reading "hands-down the best book ever written" and seeing "hands-down the best play ever written" or "ever performed", and you'll see why I don't watch too much TV. That said, I can say with confidence that I'm a fan of the cinematography in The Tudors. I've been told it's because Showtime gives their shows a film-calibre budget, which would certainly explain the beautiful lighting.

Anyways, somehow I've managed to make it a good two-thirds of the way through the woods. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. Now if only it wasn't blinding me. Four down, one to go.

Daydream Believer

1 comment:

estelover said...

Bones and Criminal Minds are awesome shows. And Charmed was good for awhile. :) Also, you changed your profile info, I like it!