Monday, December 29, 2008

The List

So I've started The List. You can see it on the right-hand panel just under my profile. The List of Things I Really Really Really Want To Do At Least Once Before I Die is a little cumbersome, and I'm pretty sure that The Bucket List is copyrighted... so I'll just call it The List. 11 p.m. last night seemed like a good time to start thinking about it.

I've been incredibly lucky so far, in that I've already done some things that are on a lot of people's lists. I've had plenty of opportunities. But I've always wondered: how many once-in-a-lifetime experiences can you fit into one lifetime? I don't know the answer to that question. Like so many other questions. But I intend to find out how many I can fit into mine. And I'm pretty sure that's the important part anyways. The practical rather than the theoretical. I have lots of theories, about lots of things, but this is about experiences. This is about where I'm going, and what I'm doing along the way. The difference between the destination and the journey. It's going to be a long road, I think, and I expect I'm going to be navigating it alone, at least mostly. It seems like a good time to start figuring out what I want. Yeah, yeah, like that wasn't what I was doing before. Oh well, the future just seems a little bit more immediate all of a sudden.

Keep Dreaming
Daydream Believer

1 comment:

Loud said...

ADHD-shotgun of comments and questions before I go to bed:

1. The list has practical benefits: If you feel lazy come New Years', "cross one (maybe even two or three) more item(s) off the list" is a sure-fire resolution.

2. Regards to the sex in car and in moving vehicle challenges: does a moving car count for both, or will you stipulate some necessary character of the moving vehicle for EXTRA CHALLENGE FACTOR?

3. Is navigating the list, and more broadly the future, alone your prediction, or your intention?

4. Have you erred on the side of things you think you can reasonably accomplish, or did you throw in a few herculean labours for yourself?

Oh, and a blog post is in the works. Needs lots more writing and lots more editing, but I have things I want to say, and an inkling as to how I want to say them, which is often half the battle.