Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Don't Push The Big Red Button

Today's mantra: "Don't do it..."

Don't get me wrong, every one's entitled to their opinion, but such broad generalizations need one hell of a case to back them up. Until I see that, you're not going to convince me. Not to mention whatever underlying problems may or may not exist within this problem.

Don't you dare write my opinions off just because they come from me. Either you agree with an opinion, or you don't, and that shouldn't change in accordance with who voices it. Don't assume I agree with you. Don't put words in my mouth.

I'm not sure why it is, in fact I'm pretty sure there's no reason for it at all, but certain people have this mystical ability to make me feel unsure of myself, incapable, incompetent, and powerless. I know that I am both capable and competent, but every now and then it is called into question.

People say, "I always speak my mind" as if it's a good thing. There is nothing glorious or brave about speaking your mind if the only purpose it serves is to hurt someone. It is good to know your opinions, and it is good to be unafraid to express them. It is equally good to have the judgement to know when to bite your tongue.

Everything in life is cyclic. This is how it was always meant to be. It's just a matter of remembering that nothing is permanent. Everything changes, and there's no way to stop it. Life is as simple and complex as a series of circles, ever-decreasing in size, and although at many points throughout life we may find ourselves at the same point in one cycle, we will never be at the same point in each of the various cycles of our existence at the same time again.

I am now the oldest I have ever been, and the youngest I will ever be.

I don't know who said that, but they're right. Kinda gives me a funny carpe-diem kind of feeling.

Sometimes you wonder. I figure it must be normal to wonder, at least for me, because I do it all the time, and as far as I can tell, there's no way to stop it. I wonder how I got here, where I'm going. I wonder about what might have been. I try not to think about that one too much. Only leads to trouble.

If you want something done right, you have to do it yourself. You have to look straight into the eyes in the mirror and give that insolent bastard a good talking to. Sometimes you have to give that frightened little person a good pep talk. It's up to you.

Maybe all I need is a little fresh air and sunshine.

In spite of it all, lately I've been feeling good. Not just good, but good. I've got a good feeling about tomorrow. Not the literal... oh 6 and a half hours or so from now when I wake up tomorrow, tomorrow in general. I'm looking forward to it. There are opportunities out there, and dammit, I'm going to seize them.

Look to the future, sure, but don't trip over the present while you're at it.
Keep Dreaming
Daydream Believer

PS, lately I've been feeling decidedly feline. I think maybe you're on to something, Gold.

2 comments:

estelover said...

The downside of opinions is that everyone has one. The best thing to do is to surround yourself with people who share the same opinions as you (otherwise known as friends).

I consider myself to be strong and confident, yet I can think of at least one person off the top of my head who reduces me to a small mound of blithering insecurities. It seems to be an unavoidable fact of life. Again, my suggestion would be the surround yourself with people who bring out the best in you. The beautiful, powerful, confident and overall capable part of yourself. Trust me, its there, and everyone who matters can easily see that.

I definitely agree with the cyclic theory about life. Life is constantly moving and changing, and the person you were 5 minutes ago is so different than the person you are now.

Wondering is also a part of life. Wondering what might have been can be a dangerous pastime though. No regrets.

I'm glad you're feeling good. Whatever you feel tends to be a little infectious. It makes me happy to see you happy.

I'm starting to realize how much I'm going to miss this in 6 months. Whatever happens after September, ALWAYS remember I'm only a phone call, an email, or a 4 hour train ride away. :) xoxo

GoldMatenes said...

Go with the feeling.

Being able to honestly say, "I can tear you to shreds" means you never have to do it.

I wonder why.

I never really threaten, I just let it be generally known that everyone in the immediate vicinity has a jugular and that I can move pretty fast.

I guess it's just confidence, not violence, that it imparts.

Sure sounds like violence, though.

Anyway, este is right - if people make you feel useless, then render them useless. (Wow, that sounds violent too, doesn't it?)