Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Bang Bang

They say you're supposed to do one thing every day that scares you. I've got the rest of this week covered, I figure. Today I had a workshop on theatrical firearms. Which means that yes, timid little fraidy cat Daydream Believer fired a gun. Two guns, in fact. Granted, they were BFD's (blank firing devices, or as the instructor cheerfully suggested to help us remember the acronym, big fucking dildos) loaded with blanks, but even so, blanks can be pretty scary at close range. So can the kick on a semi-automatic weapon. I nearly dropped it. I suppose that's why they only let me put one round in the magazine before I fired it. Anyways, it was an interesting experience, and a good thing for me to learn. The instructor actually explained the idea of using theatrical firearms in a way that made it sound a lot less scary. Of course, he waited to do that until after we'd all fired the guns, but that's ok. The way he put it is that guns are tools, and they can be used in a lot of different ways, and they can be dangerous, but as long as you're smart about it, a gun isn't any more dangerous than, say, a tablesaw. All things considered, though, I don't think I've ever been so annoyed that my hands sweat when I get nervous.

In other news, I've been busy as all getout this week, and I'm finally starting to crawl on top of this little pile of mine. You never know, I may even find some time to warm up my throwing arm. (Loud, I know you think I should use a trebuchet, but really, it just wouldn't be the same.)

Anyways, that's my little tidbit about so far the coolest workshop I've ever done. Stay tuned for workshop #2: unarmed stage combat.

Daydream Believer

1 comment:

estelover said...

I don't have a whole lot to say about this post, but I wanted to tell you; I read Twilight and am addicted. I'm a couple of chapters into the second one (New Moon) now. Thanks for the recommendation. :)